Scuola Italiana di Montevideo is a school that integrates both the Italian and the National curriculum, thus opening doors to a multilingual and multicultural world.
It caters for children from 3 months of age to 18 years old. It is located in stimulating surroundings, enabling children and teenagers to learn in a friendly environment that promotes contact with nature and fosters inquiry-minded learners. Our spacious premises and extensive campus offer an invaluable opportunity for learning as well as for socializing.
Scuola Italiana di Montevideo has undergone significant changes throughout its 135-year history. It was founded on September 17th, 1886 by Dr. Leone Maria Morelli and a group of Italian immigrants who wished to preserve the Italian cultural heritage in the country that had welcomed them.
In 1909, as the number of students rose, the school authorities commissioned the design and construction of a new building to the Italian engineer Luigi Andreoni and they operated in the new premises for over 60 years. The first Casa dei Bambini was inaugurated during that period.
Finally, in 1973 the school moved to its present location in a quieter residential area. The premises comprise three different buildings which are surrounded by 13 hectares of parkland and sports fields.
Mission and Vision
To preserve the Italian cultural heritage in our country and to guide our students throughout their learning process so that they can become autonomous, creative and caring people who are committed to playing an active role as global citizens in a multicultural and multilingual world.
We wish to be viewed as a dynamic and innovative educational institution Appreciated for caring for our students and helping them find their identity in a truly collaborative and active environment. Recognized for encouraging an attitude of long-life learning and for instilling the value of respect, responsibility, honesty and hard work.
- To lead our students so that they can become knowledgeable, motivated and thoughtful global citizens.
- To foster an integral education that focuses on students’ cognitive, physical, social and emotional development.
- To honour our professionalism and commitment in the belief that every person can reach his or her full potential.
- To strengthen the relationship between school and family.
- To respect our environment and educate for its preservation.
- To inspire love for Italian language and culture.
- To instil the importance of a strong set of values, such as responsibility, collaborative work and initiative.
- To help our students find happiness in what they do and who they are.
School Board and management
Scuola Italiana di Montevideo is a non-profit organization. The Board is comprised of people from diverse professional fields, who volunteer to work in the determination and implementation of the school’s key values and principles.
The day-to-day operations of the school are the responsibility of the Management Team, which includes the Head of School, the School Principals for each sector (kinder, primary and secondary school) as well as the General Administrator.